The County Manager, Theron Gay, was appointed by the board of commissioners as the chief administrative officer of the county and he and his staff implement the directives, resolutions, ordinances, and policies of the County Board of Commissioners.
The County Manager is chosen by the board on the basis of executive and administrative qualifications, based on actual experience in or knowledge of accepted practices with respect to the duties of the office.
Under the direction of the County Commissioners, the County Manager is responsible for the proper administration of the affairs of the county. It is the duty of the county manager to:
- See that all ordinances, rules and regulations of the board and all laws of the state subject to enforcement by county officers or department heads, other than by elected constitutional officers, are faithfully executed;
- Attend all meetings of the board and/or its committees, with the right to take part in discussions in accordance with any rules adopted by the board, but having no vote. The County Manager is entitled to notice of all special meetings of the board and non-scheduled committee meetings;
- Serve, if so directed by the board, ex officio as county clerk, to perform all the duties and have all the responsibilities of that office;
- Prepare and submit to the board a proposed annual budget and a proposed capital program, and to manage the budget and capital program adopted by the board, approving all disbursements and expenditures as budgeted and/or authorized by the board;
- Examine regularly the accounts, records and operations of every county board, commission, department, office and agency which receives appropriations from the county; to make monthly reports to the board on county fiscal and other affairs; to keep the board fully advised on the financial conditions and future needs of the county, and to make such recommendations on county affairs as the County Manager deems necessary for the efficient operation of the county;
- Submit to the board at the end of each fiscal year a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the county for the preceding year;
- Confer with and advise all other elected or appointed officials of the county who are not under the immediate control of the board, but who receive financial support from the board;
- Supervise the performance of all contracts made by any person for work done for the county, and supervise and regulate all purchases of materials and supplies for the county as prescribed by the board;
- Exercise control over all departments or divisions of the county for which the board has responsibility, and all employees of the county, and to direct and supervise the administration of all county offices and the construction, maintenance and operation of all county roads, bridges, drains, buildings and other public works, and to have the care and responsibility for the maintenance of all real and personal property owned by the county;
- Appoint, suspend, discharge, transfer or remove all employees for whom the board is responsible, except the county attorney, who is appointed directly by the board. The County Manager may delegate to any department head such powers with respect to subordinates within that department.
- Establish the salaries of all officers and employees of the county, subject to pay grades and scales adopted by the board, and budget appropriations, and subject to supervision and control by the board;
- Supervise the programs of financial management, personnel administration, procurement, and risk management;
- Perform such other duties as may be required of the County Manager by the board; and to keep the board updated on all projects, employment decisions, budget matters, etc., on a scheduled basis and an agreed upon methodology.